My Monday, Sept 10 due date came and went. Then I woke up Tuesday morning and still no baby. Not even any contractions. Tuesday evening Robert, Andrew and I ran some errands, went to costco, and bought a crib at Target and came home. Still nothing. We went to bed thinking we would just have to wait until Thursday night to be induced. But Wednesday morning I woke up at 1:30 am and my water broke.
Headed to the hospital. Nervous, but excited to meet the little man!
I went to the hospital with the best of intentions to have the baby without drugs. Well that plan went out the window at about 8am when I had dilated to a 9 and he still hadn't dropped and was trying to come out sideways. Yeah, it hurt and there was no way I could handle what would probably be two hours worth of pushing. I cried mercy and begged for the anesthesiologist to drug me. Longest 15 minutes of my life trying to hold still during excruciating contractions while the epidural was inserted and then waiting for it to kick in. But thank goodness for modern medicine! The nurse had me lay on my side/stomach for an hour and a half to get the baby to turn in the right direction. By noon he was in the right position and ready to be pushed out. I pushed for two and a half hours then the nurse called the doctor to tell him we were close. He was on his way when the baby decided to come on out. The nurse yelled at me to not push (impossible, by the way) and wait for the doctor because she did not want to deliver this baby herself. The next 60 seconds were kind of blur. It was obvious that he was coming so the nurse yelled for Robert to get her a glove and the room filled with nurses. His football shoulders got stuck and finally the doctor came in, unstuck his shoulder, and out he came!
brand spankin' new!
We hung out for a while, ordered dinner, and got picked on by the nurses then Robert went home to get grandma and big brother.
checking him out
I love the look on Andrew's face in this picture!
hi!
brothers
Before going to the hospital we had pretty much decided on the name Thomas but wanted to see him before deciding for sure. Well after he was born we both knew he wasn't a Thomas. We asked each other what we thought he looked like and we both said that Alexander was the name that came to mind when we first saw him (a name we had talked about when we first found out I was pregnant). Choosing a name is a big commitment though so we waited until the next day to fill out the birth certificate paperwork.
Alexander James Reed
born September 12, 2012 at 2:24 pm
9 lbs 13 oz, 22.5 inches long
2 comments:
oh my word that chubby little face is so cute! (and i dont think that sweatshirt fit very well...)
ive checked for new pictures twice today. surely he looks different than last week.
Post a Comment